Healthy Twix Bars
This recipe is by Rachael DeVaux (aka Rachael’s Good Eats on Instagram) and boy is it a keeper. If you’re like me, you enjoy a little something sweet after dinner, but don’t like to end the day on something heavy and unhealthy.
This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free and tastes incredible. I absolutely love desserts that are better for you without tasting better for you. There a few different components and steps to make these, but don’t worry, I have a few *twix* up my sleeve for you.
- Make your shortbread layer in an 8×8 pan with parchment paper for easy removal. It’s the perfect thickness.
- After your shortbread layer and caramel layer completely cool, pour the caramel layer over the shortbread layer and spread it evenly. Then, put it in the freezer (not the fridge) for at least 30 minutes to allow it to set.
- After it’s frozen, use a chef’s knife to cut it in half and then into bars.
- Then, I transferred the bars + parchment paper into a 9×13 pan and put them back in the freezer. I found when I tried to squish them back into the 8×8 and re-cutting them after pouring the chocolate on top, the bars were too messy.
- Make the chocolate layer, bring the bars back out, and gently spoon the chocolate over the top and spread it over each bar. You can add a little bit more chocolate to the top after you’ve finished covering all the bars.
- Sprinkle your flakey sea salt after the chocolate sets a little bit, which happens pretty quickly when the bars have been frozen, and pop them back in the freezer to harden.
- I left mine in the freezer for about an hour, but you probably don’t even need to wait that long, and they were PERFECT!
- I like to cut mine in half since they’re so rich and delicious that I don’t always need a full bar.
- I also put half of the bars in the freezer to make them last longer, so I’ll let you know how those taste!
These are definitely worth making, especially if you like finding healthy alternatives to junkfood classics!! ENJOY!
For the Shortbread Layer:
- ½ cup almond flour (I used 1 cup since I didn’t have coconut flour)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted (I buy Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil)
- 3 Tbsp honey, warmed
For the Caramel Layer:
- ½ cup almond butter (I buy Creamy Whole Foods 365 Almond Butter)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 1 dark chocolate bar (I used Theo Organic 3 oz 85% Dark Chocolate Bar–HEAVEN. I picked mine up at Whole Foods and bought their dark chocolate coconut + dark chocolate orange as well, which are INCREDIBLE)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Flakey sea salt (I bought mine on Amazon since I couldn’t find it in my local grocery stores)
Click here for Rachael’s full recipe details!