Valentine’s Rice Krispies
How cute are these? Seriously.
I absolutely love Rice Krispie treats. Let me clarify–homemade Rice Krispie treats. I started making them with my sister when I was in high school, and ever since, I’ve never been able to eat a store bought one. They’re simply just not the same as having one fresh. I’m (slightly) embarrassed to admit that the two of us could finish a 9×13 pan of them–not sure how our stomachs handled that.
When I was in the grocery store, I spotted the Strawberry Rice Krispies and I thought that might be a fun Valentines variation! I was very surprised how much I liked the strawberry flavor. It wasn’t too sweet, especially with the dark chocolate drizzle. I’m not the most amazing decorator, but I had fun trying different patterns, which I felt like ended up looking pretty festive!
They’re so easy to make and so tasty to eat! While making these this time, I learned an interesting fact! There is a discrepancy between the recipe on the back of the Rice Krispies box and the marshmallow package!! Although it’s not surprising that the marshmallow package calls for more marshmallows, it’s recipe was significantly better. The recipe on the back on the cereal box was way too dry. So, below is the marshmallow package recipe because everyone deserves a few more marshmallows in their life.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 5 ½ cups of mini marshmallows
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal
(I like to use the stovetop, but you can definitely do the second step in the microwave)
- Add Rice Krispies to a big bowl.
- Melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until smooth.
- Pour melted marshmallows over the Rice Krispies and stir until they’re all coated.
- Scoop into a 9×13 pan and use wax paper to spread out your treats into a thin layer.
- You can let them cool and use a lightly butter knife to cut them into squares OR (my preferred option) devour immediately.